Earlier this week, Dawn Cooke of the Huffington Post published an article 10 Reasons the Tattoo Community Doesn’t Respect Tattoo Reality TV Shows, and I think she has a lot of great points. I encourage you to go read the article, but to give you a taste – here’s the top five reasons she listed. Dawn goes into more detail, and like I said earlier, I think she did a stellar job with this piece. I might not agree with all ten items on this list, but I think overall she speaks the truth.
Just to reinforce how ridiculous the world of tattoo reality TV is, I decided to post a video below Dawn’s five reasons. Hopefully we won’t see this on TV anytime soon, but unfortunately I wouldn’t be shocked if we did.
- These shows and people who make them are missing the point altogether.
- They have no idea about the richness of history that is continually being shaped and unearthed regarding tattoo culture nor do they seem to have any genuine interest in it.
- They mindlessly exploit the culture on a whole that most of us in the trenches hold sacred.
- They claim to be reality yet at every casting interview you are directed about what to say and how to say it.
- Producers and casting agents don’t do their homework